Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The way ahead

Today something became clear to me. In one of those deep moments of internal reflection in class (read: daydreaming in class), something stirred in me. It was the guest lecturer from the World Bank that is giving me ideas and an agenda for travel. Damn! He ask us what could we do as students for the poor while we are at the heart of affluence and globalization in pretty Singapore-NUS. Rich. Powerful. Shielded from the ugly things in the world. So many chao elites (this i said).

I will dedicate this blog and my life to travelling the world. Next friday I will ride to thailand alone. Hopefully I pass my baptism of fire and return home with some things sorted out. If I achieve this personal desire and small dream, I can start on the next one. I hope to raise enough money to travel United Kingdom by May, so that I will not have to cancel the air tickets which I have already paid in full last week, to London on May 10, the day after my exams (Yipee!).

Why UK in May? Because it is too good a chance to miss leaving this May. It may be my best (read: cheapest) chance too travel the most expensive continent-Europe, because my ex tutees who are now studying there offered me lodging at their rented house.

In attempting to travel the world in parts instead of all at one go, I might as well start with UK. After that I have no clear long term plans of any specific country or agenda, only that I wish to see poverty and get uncomfortable grappling with the more philosophical questions in life, contrasting later travels with the affluence prevalent in Singapore and what I expect to see in UK (until proven otherwise).

But for now, I focus my energies on the immediate things. That team project due next week which accounts for 50% of my grades for that module, and to ride to thailand and return home safely. From now till then I will meet a few people and prepare a few things, for I am acutely aware of the risks of travel, especially by motorcycle.

Life is about to get interesting and messy. Cheers mates.

No comments:

Odometer: 115000km on the road

Last Updated 25/11/09