Saturday, June 7, 2008

HOV Safety Ride

I dragged myself out of bed this morning to meet at West Coast MacDonald's at 8ish. Endlessloop was conducting the Hazard Oriented Vision (HOV) Safety course. As the organiser, my role was to co-ordinate the logistics, a simple task compared to what the man himself had to do-go through theory in the morning, lead the discussions and prepare for a practical convoy ride. This session gathered only 3 riders, but I am pleased we are able to return something to the motorcycling community. Marvelstone and Su are new riders with just over a month's experience, while Juvena faces difficulties with aggressive drivers and tailgators after a year on her Vespar. I'm glad Endlessloop and I are able to make this course happen again. Also thanking Ausa for volunteering his help and his presence today; it was a pity heavy rain aborted the practical riding portion. Not forgeting DuDu n Tweety for your radio sets, and Kushinagar for your help in publicising the event in SBF.

To Juvena, Marvelstone and Su, I wish you a long and safe riding career ahead and hope that you found today's meetup beneficial. May today begin a new chapter in your riding, just as Endlessloop improved mine 2 years ago when he mentored me, and even till today.




Endlessloop himself sharing powerpoint notes and video clips.


As we departed, I mounted my steed and revved up the engine. I switched focus to my ride, knowing this ride might claim my life like every other ride riders face daily. My mental radar maps surrounding hazards and prioritises them as I classify and track those taking priority. With the clutch lever pulled in, I engage gear 1 with an audible tuck sound-the clutch plates bites-my steed surges forward smoothly from the traffic light junction and the sweet inline-4 cylinders purr seductively between my legs. There are few sounds as enticing as a roaring inline-4; well, few man-made sounds at least. Riding in the rain, the reassuring growl of my loyal steed accompanies me home. While riding, there is no other place I want to be other than on the road with my iron steed; this is one of the simplest pleasures of life I indulge in everyday. As the saying goes, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.

When executed to perfection, HOV denies other road users chances at collision with your vehicle. It is my hope that more people will benefit from this method of riding/driving.
HOV Article

No comments:

Odometer: 115000km on the road

Last Updated 25/11/09